I need to work with two Dropbox accounts on my Mac, one for work and one private account. I came up with the following solution:
- create an additional user account on your mac
- install Dropbox and set it up for the secondary account
- choose a custom location for the Dropbox folder
- As location choose or create a folder inside the “Shared” folder (Users/Shared/)
- set the permissions so that the primary user has read & write access (select the folder and type command-i)
- in order for the syncing to work properly, the secondary user needs to stay logged in in the background
To be clear: I respect that DroBox has a freemium pricing model and I don’t want to encourage you to double the size of your Dropbox folder using this workaround. However, sometimes it can be practical to be able to access two accounts.